Friday, April 10, 2009

Wildlife In The Garden

I have seen a quail family in the garden several times in the past week. They are finally coming back!! Also, doves are coming to the garden to get water. There are also many other birds out there. Soon rabbits will be there so I have a lot of lettuce seeds that I intend to plant all summer so rabbits, etc. will have something to eat besides my plants.

I am holding off on planting container plants out there because of this weather. But in the front yard, all the plants are doing well. As I mentioned before, there is a protected environment for them because of the adobe wall. I figured out that the wall collects heat during the day and somehow keeps the plants from freezing.

I have allotted a day next week to finally burn weeds and clean up outside. I've been postponing it for so long!! It's hard to work, do housework, and keep the yard up. Noone else is very enthusiastic about it, but the yard is my hobby and I have to do the undesirable jobs in order to enjoy it.

My young dog, Bella, (half border collie, half springer spaniel) has sure done her share to mess things up out there. She's at the stage of chewing up and tearing up whatever she can find. I never know what to expect when I get out there. ha!

So, my hands are itching for some new plants and fun!! I just can't wait until I can go look at some plants and buy a few.

No comments: